Since its establishment, the IAPPD is organizing national as well as international conferences and seminars in the field of population and development. Efforts are made to increase the level of understanding and awareness of population issues on the part of elected representatives secure their cooperation and support.
The IAPPD undertakes research studies in the area of advocacy, population and development, HIV / AIDS, etc. in the country. The government uses the study results and policy recommendations as basic materials for formulating its programmes and policy in the field of population and development. Acknowledging the endless efforts of the IAPPD in the field of population and development, the United Nations' Population Fund (UNFPA) has assigned the IAPPD to carry out a project, tided 'Involvement of Elected Representatives for Advocacy on Population, Reproductive Health, HIV / AIDS, Reproductive Rights and Empowerment of Women'. The project was entrusted to the IAPPD by the UNFPA through the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India .
Workshops for MPs and Legislators
In order to sensitize the parliamentarians and legislators regarding new issues and perspectives on population policy and population stabilisation programme several workshop were organised by IAPPD. These workshops enabled the elected representatives to understand the paradigm shift in policies and programmes on population stabilization, reproductive rights, empowerment of women and HIV / AIDS. Issues such as advocacy for male participation, gender equity and equality and promotion of adolescents were also discussed in these workshops. Apart from elected representatives at Centre, State and district level, workshops were also organized up to the block level representatives and opinion leaders.
Training of Trainers
Endowed with a very rich panel of subject experts on population, environment and socio- economic development, IAPPD provided training to trainers on different themes, subjects and issues specially during the project on 'Involvement of Elected Representatives for Advocacy on Population, Reproductive Health, HIV / AIDS, Reproductive Rights and Empowerment of Women'. The trainees included government programme administrators, NGOs, academicians, social activities, opinion leaders and influential social and religious leaders.
International Activities 2015
1. 4th Annual AFPPD National Committees UNFPA Advocacy Planning Session on 28 - 29 January 2015, Bangkok (Thailand)
Shri Manmohan Sharma, Executive Secretary, IAPPD attended the meeting.
The main objectives of the meeting to focused on strengthening the parliamentarians between the AFPPD National Committees and UNFPA country offices to ensure a consolidated efforts forwards the further implementation of the ICPD in the past 2015.
2. International G 7 Parliamentarians Conference on Population and Development in preparation for the 2015 G 7 Submit "Empowering Women and Girls to lead self-determined, health and productive lives", 16 - 17 April, 2015 Berlin (Germany)
Mrs. Viplove Thakur, MP attended the meeting
The main objective of the meeting to bring together parliamentarians from G7, G20 and Southern and emerging countries to discuss and strategize emerging issues, Challenges, best practices, lessons learned and policy recommendation.
3. The Second Transparency Accountability, and Government (TAG) Task Force meeting on 3rd May 2015, Bangkok (Thailand)
Prof. P.J. Kurien, MP, Dy. Chairman, Rajya Sabha and Shri Manmohan Sharma, Executive Secretary, IAPPD attended the meeting.
The main objectives of the meeting to allow Parliamentarians to regenerate commitment and buildup political will for action to tackle the remaining tasks of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) in 2015
4. 77th AFPPD Executive Committee Meeting on 4th May 2015, Bangkok (Thailand)
Prof. P.J. Kurien, MP, Dy. Chairman, Rajya Sabha and Shri Manmohan Sharma, Executive Secretary, IAPPD attended the meeting.
The main objectives of the meeting to overall goal of the implementation of APRO Project is a strengthened Parliamentarians platform for conducting policy dialogue and supporting policy formation, implementation and monitoring of the ICPD Programme of Action in the context of the Sustainable Development Goal (SDGs)
5. Asian and African Parliamentarians Meeting on "Enhancing the Role of
Parliamentarians in the Interlinkage between Population Issues and the Post 2015. Development Agenda" - October 1 - 3,2015 - Nairobi,(Kenya)
Mr. Jesudasu Seelam, Member of Parliament and Shri Manmohan Sharma, Executive Secretary, IAPPD attended. The meeting was organised by APDA, Japan
6. The 11th General Assembly of AFPPD - Informal Consultation of the 2016
Parliamentary Activities - 78th and 79th AFPPD Executive Committee Meetings and 3rd Task Force Meeting - October 9 - 11, 2015 at Bangkok Thailand
Prof. P.J. Kurien, Dy. Chairman Rajya Sabha and Vice Chairman, AFPPD, Mr. Avinash Rai Khanna, Member of Parliament, Mr. Shantaram Naik, Member of Parliament, Mr. V.P. Singh, Badnore, Member of Parliament, Mrs. Gundu Sudha Rani, Member of Parliament and Shri Manmohan Sharma, Executive Secretary, IAPPD attended. The meeting was organised by AFPPD, Banglok.
7. "The 2nd Training Workshop for Parliamentarians on Prioritizing ICPD in the SDGs" on 30th November - 1st December, 2015, Hotel Lalit, New Delhi
The above Training Workshop for Parliamentarians on Prioritizing ICPD in the SDGs' was jointly organized by IAPPD, India and AFPPD, Bangkok.
The Training Workshop aims to Strengthen Parliamentarians advocacy skills and capacity to address population and development issues within the new development agenda.
The programme was also focused on strengthening the capacity of Parliamentarian and National Committee Secretariat Staff by rolling out the new resource units and learning by doing.
A total number of 31 Participants comprising of 4 MPs from Afghanistan, 2 MPs from Bhutan, 8 MPs from India, 4 MPs from Indonesia and 11 Senior officials from AFPPD/IPPF/FPAI and IAPPD attended the meeting.
Overall, the participants thought that the event was well organized.
8. 8th Asia Pacific Conference on Reproductive and Sexual Health and Rights - 23-26 February, 2016 - Myanmar
This Conference was organized by Family Planning Association of India and IPPF-SARO in collaboration with IAPPD.
The objective of this Conference was to examine the role of the Parliamentarians in increasing political support and buy in and strengthen the implementation of the Health and Gender Goals in 2030 Agenda.
Mrs. Viplove Thakur, MP, Shri Ananda Bhaskar Rapolu, MP, Shri Narayan Lal Panchariya, MP and Shri Manmohan Sharma, Executive Secretary, IAPPD attended.
9. South Asia of Parliamentarians' Meeting on Child Marriage -22-23, March, 2016 - Kathmandu, Nepal
The meeting was organized by AFPPD in collaboration with the Nepalese Forum of Parliamentarians on Population and Development (NFPPD).
The objective of this Meeting was to accelerate parliamentarians’ efforts both at the national and sub-regional levels to eliminate child marriage and promote gender equality and women’s empowerment.
63 Members of Parliament from 13 countries in Asia-Pacific Region attended the meeting.
From India, Mrs. Viplove Thakur, MP, Dr. Vijaylaxmi Sadho, MP and Shri Manmohan Sharma, Executive Secretary, IAPPD attended.
10. AFPPD 80th Executive Committee Meeting and G - 7, Global Conference of Parliamentarians on Population and Development: Realizing Healthy Lives and Promoting Well-Being for All - 25-27 April, 2016 - Tokyo, Japan
The meeting was organized by AFPPD in collaboration with Japan Parliamentarians Federation for Population (JPFP).
The objective of this Meeting was to solicit high level commitments and political actions by global parliamentarians and ensure that the Conference outcomes will be delivered to the G-7 leaders via the Sherpa.
130 Members of Parliament from 65 countries in Asia-Pacific Region, Africa, Arab, Europe, North America and Latin America attended the meeting.
From India, Mrs. Viplove Thakur, MP, Dr. Vijaylaxmi Sadho, MP, Shri Jugal Kishore, MP and Shri Manmohan Sharma, Executive Secretary, IAPPD attended.
11. Enhancing the Role of Parliamentarians in the inter-linkage between Population Issues and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development - Part-II, 10 - 12, August, 2016, Addis Ababa, (Ethiopia)
APDA in cooperation with Ethiopian Parliament and with support from UNFPA and Japan Trust Fund organized a meeting on Enhancing the Role of Parliamentarians in the inter-linkage between Population issues and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development - Part-II in Addis Ababa.
The main theme of the programme was to identify and examine the role of parliamentarians towards achieving the 2030 agenda for sustainable development goals and their contribution to Sixth Tokyo International Conference on African Development with focus on population and sustainable development.
Shri Anand Bhaskar Rapolu, MP, Shri Arjunlal Meena, MP and Shri Manmohan Sharma, Executive Secretary, IAPPD attended.
12. Helpage Asia Pacific Regional Conference on "The Economic Implications of Ageing" Hanoi, (Vietnam), 6 - 8, September, 2016
The Regional Conference focused in some key areas of adaption such as in health and care work in later life and sources of household income. This explored through the lens of the effect of population ageing on the future performance of the economy, the well being of individuals and fiscal implications.
Shri Laxmi Narain Yadav, MP and Shri Manmohan Sharma, Executive Secretary, IAPPD attended the meeting.
13. The Policy Dialogue of Asian Parliamentarians and Experts on Ageing at Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), 11 - 12 October, 2016
APDA with host the AFPPD, Malaysia and support from the UNFPA organized a meeting and Study visit on Policy Dialogue of Asian Parliamentarians and Experts on Ageing. The Programme helped the Parliamentarians, Officers of National Committees and Expert an invaluable opportunity to learn long term impact of the demographic transmission and to consider appropriate policy and legal interventions for sustainable, healthy ageing societies.
Shri Husain Dalwai, MP and Shri Manmohan Sharma, Executive Secretary, IAPPD attended.
14. 81st AFPPD Executive Committee Meeting on 3rd November, 2016 and 11th Women Ministers and Parliamentarians Conference on 4 - 5 November, 2016 at Bangkok (Thailand)
AFPPD organized an 81st AFPPD Executive Committee meeting and 11th Women Ministers and Parliamentarians Conference. The objective of the Conference is to foster concerted collaboration among men and women Parliamentarians and Ministers to formulate and advocate for a regional gender-related policy agenda from a life cycle approach.
Prof. P.J. Kurien, Dy. Chairman, Rajya Sabha, Vice-Chairman, AFPPD, Chairman, IAPPD, Ms. Viplove Thakur, MP (Vice-Chair - IAPPD) and Shri Manmohan Sharma, Executive Secretary, IAPPD attended.
15. The 18th General Assembly of the Asia Pacific Parliamentarians' Conference on Environment and Development (APPCED) Theme : UN - SDGs and International Development on 10 - 12 November, 2016 at Seoul, Republic of Korea
The theme of the Conference was to share ideas, experiences and policies to effectively deal with emerging challenges of hunger, population dynamics, climate change and human development.
Ms. Viplove Thakur, MP (Vice-Chair - IAPPD), Shri Avinash Rai Khanna, Ex. MP and Shri Manmohan Sharma, Executive Secretary, IAPPD attended.
16. BERLIN TB SUMMIT 20 - 22 March, 2017 at Berlin, (Germany)
This meeting is a unique Meeting of Parliamentarians from across the Group of 20( G 20) countries, to discuss the global treat of drug-resistant tuberculosis (TB) and the broader response to antimicrobial resistance (AMR) which will discussed at the G 20 Summit later this year.
Mr. Ananda Bhaskar Rapolu, MP and Mr. Nadimul Haque, MP.
17. Regional Parliamentarians' Conference on Combatting Human Trafficking, Second Joint Meeting of Standing Committees on Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment and Invest in Youth, and National Committees Sub-Regional Strategy Meeting 21 - 23 March, 2017 at Bangkok (Thailand)
The objective of this Conference was to strengthen regional platforms to improve advocacy, coordinate and share best practices and information. To develop common strategies/sub-regional action plan for Parliamentary and cross sectoral corporation to prevent trafficking and promote south-south cooperation.
Ms. Viplove Thakur, MP (Vice-Chair - IAPPD), Mr. Narsaiah Bura, MP and Shri Manmohan Sharma, Executive Secretary, IAPPD attended.
18. G 7 Rome International Parliamentarians' Conference on The Challenges of a World on the Move: Migration and Gender Equality, Women's Agency and Sustainable Development - 4 - 5 May, 2017 and 82nd Executive Committee Meeting of AFPPD - 6 May, 2017 at Rome (Italy)
The objectives of this Conference follows the tradition of International Parliamentarians' Conferences, which have taken place on the subject of development and population in the countries holding the G 7/8 presidency since 2005.
Main focus of the Conference was on migration through a human rights perspective - in particular a women's right to health and a gender approach.
Prof. P.J. Kurian, Dy. Chairman (Upper House), Vice-Chairman AFPPD, Chairman IAPPD and Shri Manmohan Sharma, Executive Secretary, IAPPD attended.